Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians

by Carla Morris and illustrated by Brad Sneed
PeachTree Publishers 2007
30 Pages
Genre: Picture Book

Summary:

Melivin grew up loving the Livingston Public Library. He spent most of his time with his three favorite ladies, Marge, Betty, and Leeola. After school he would always stop by the library after he went school and look up something he had learned that day. At one point it's snakes and his friends help him find everything there is to know about snakes. Another day he brings in a big jar of bugs he collected. On his way in he trips and the jar opens and the ladies help him find ever single bug and label and give him books on every single one. As he grows older and older, the ladies help him with each of his interests. They even help him get ready for a play, and eventually a spelling bee. As the ladies grow old and he graduates they are still very close friends. Next we see the three ladies bent over the reference desk looking at a new little boy. Melivin also helped him as he loved his job in the library.

My Reaction:

I really enjoyed this book! I spent a lot of time in the library as a child. I just love reading and sitting for hours with a good book. I felt like I connected with this book a lot. The illustrations in this book are not like other books. The people have personality and I really like how they are all different. The pictures really portrays the library as a place of safety and I think that is wonderful!


Potential Problems:

None


Recommendations:

I think every child should read this book because it shows that books can teach you anything you want to learn. How wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment