Saturday, February 12, 2011

50 American Heroes Every Kid Should Meet

by Dennis Denenberg & Lorraine Roscoe
Published by Millbrook Press Inc 2006
Reading Level: 4-6
Number of Pages 128
Genre: Non-Fiction

Summary:
This book is filled with all kinds of information about the great heroes of America. It has quite the range as well, from women to men, from black to white, from the beginning until now. Actors to Presidents, and writers to baseball players. The format it simple and effective. It is made up of three colors, white and black with hits of light blue. It is very clear and has a great amount of information on each person is a very small space. Each person gets about two pages which are packed with pictures and simple text. Also, it is a great reference book because it refers the reader to other books that will give more detail. It gives the title, publishing information and number of pages. My favorite section was on Bill Cosby, it explained that he was more than an actor, he was a teacher, an author and a humanitarian. I was so amazed at the things I didn't know and how the writing instantly interests the reader.

My reaction:
This book was a fantastic reference book. I loved it! I learned so much about those who have influenced America today and why. I really want this book for my personal collection even if I am not a teacher, i want my kids to learn about these amazing people and how their lives are better because of them.

Potential Problems:
It's history, some times there are things that are hard to teach kids about in history books. Murder, hate, etc. But this is a fantastic way to learn these in a very light manner.

Recommendations:
I think every teacher and parent should have one of these in their collection. These kinds of books teach our children to be better and that if they work hard the can succeed. Even if the odds are against them.

No comments:

Post a Comment